Sunday, June 5, 2011

Churches in Blois


Written by Emmeline (age 11)

Today we went to a French Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the city of Blois (blue-wah).  It was a 45 minute drive to get to the church building.  I don't know how my dad would have gotten us there without the gps on the ipad!  The church building was a white stone building which did not have a steeple on top.  It was a nice chapel which had some similarities to our chapel at home.  It had a microphone on a podium where the leaders sat, a mini organ and stackable chairs.  The room was about the size my elementary school classroom back home.  

It was challenging to understand what the people were saying as they sang hymns and spoke.  We tried to sing the hymns in French because we knew the melodies and read the words in the hymnal.  It was Fast & Testimony Meeting, so it was interesting to see all of the people bear their testimonies.  Even though I did not understand what they were saying I felt the spirit there.

We had the sacrament with bread and water and that is the most important part of the meeting.  Even though I didn't know the exact words they were saying I knew it was the same as in Alpine, Utah.

It was a Branch, not a Ward.  They only had about 50 members!  The members were kind and some who spoke English stayed and visited with us.  They had three missionaries working in their Branch.  We will be going back again next week.

After our meeting we drove to an amazing Cathedral in Blois.  I took lots of photos, which you can see in this post. We want to go to a Mass while we are here.  

I can't believe how close the buildings are together.
This is what is looked like from the front doors of the Cathedral.



Grace and I thought this water fountain was awesome.



The paintings on the ceiling were amazing and very old.

The stain glass pictures were beautiful.

Photo by mom.

Anthon kept wanting to blow out the prayer candles!

Photo by dad.




9 comments:

  1. I love it! I love hearing how church went and that you guys tried to sing- I remember doing the same thing in Romania. Isn't it amazing how old everything is there? I always have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Emmeline, great pictures. You are going to be a very experienced photographer by the time you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great and informative post Emme! Thank you for telling us about the differences and similarities to our churches here in the USA. I got to see lots of beautiful churches and cathedrals as I grew up in Germany and I always loved the way the stained glass windows cast beautiful light on the floors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emme, great reporting! I'm also loving the buildings and how detailed the architecture is. What beautiful things you are seeing! I'm happy you kept Anthon from blowing how the candles...how funny! Glad you are enjoying your adventures! Hug every member of your family from Alec and I!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this instant sharing!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACE!! I am so glad you are having this wonderful adventure! It must be pretty cool to celebrate turning a year older in France! We love seeing all your pictures. We miss you, but are totally enjoying sharing this experience with all of you. Those birthday greetings above are from me, Papa, too. We tried to sign up for a Google Account but it gave us an "Error 404" response??Hope this comes through. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN GRACIE GOO" Grammie and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray, Papa and Grammie, you did it! You have successfully signed up and sent us your message! It's so fun to know you are following along with you. We love you and wish you were here......Germany in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Emme!
    I loved reading your post & all about your journey. I miss you & hope you continue to have great time. One question, are you used to the time yet?
    Xo brookie

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey brooke thanks for the comment! And no i am not used to the time change yet. It is very challenging to stay awake but I am having a great time! I wish you were here too experience this great trip with me.You will be reciving a post card from me in the mail. i'll keep you posted.
    XO- emme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi emme!! It's Emma. It looks like you guys are having a wonderful adventure. It's so different there then here!! I have enjoyed following your fun blog!! How long do you guys get to stay??

    <3 Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emme,
    Sounds like so much fun. I am totally enjoying reading about your amazing vacation. I love and miss all of you. It is fun to be able to go to church in different countries and even though you can't understand very much you do know that it is true. The funniest this was that Anthon wanted to blow out the candles, Sophia would have totally done that too. Tell everybody Hi from all of us and especially Grace for her B-Day......Love Aunt Angela and Family

    ReplyDelete