Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Patisserie

The Patisserie is a pastry store that also has bread, so it is also our bakery.




The first time I went into the Patisserie I was scared; because I didn't think I would say the right words and that I would mess-up and I had never been there before. I was going for three croissants and one baguette.  I went with Emmeline, George, Anthon and my Dad, but everyone waited outside when I went in and bought the stuff.

When I go to the Patisserie I get some money from my dad, I leave our house and walk about half a block. Usually I talk to Emmeline on the way and we talk about the Patisserie and talk about how good the food is and talk about what we want to get.  This morning we got some bread called Brioche', it kind of tastes like a croissant, a little, but different. It is kind of softer on the inside and harder on the outside, a little bit. It's really good.

On my first visit I said: "trois croissant and un baguette" and then I held out the money and the lady took some of the money and then I looked at what money I had left and figured out how much it cost. Then I went back home with the bread.  I felt happy after I was done and I was not nervous to go back again.


Grace at the Patisserie with her brothers.
I have now gone to the Patisserie about 10 times.  Every time I go back I practice on the way to the Patisserie by repeating over and over again the words that I am going to say.  For example, almost every day I walk to the Patisserie saying "quatre ('cat') croissant, un baguette; quatre croissant, un baguette; quatre croissant, un baguette."  This means, "four croissants and one baguette."  After I'm done I smile and say "au revoir" as I leave and the lady says "au revoir" back to me.  The hardest part about going to the Patisserie is looking at all the treats and wanting to buy some.

So many choices...

My dad and I just took a break from writing this post and we went to the Patisserie and it was closed. It closes from one-o'clock to three-thrity, and then it opens again.


The lady at the Patisserie knows that we come every morning. This morning there was a boy my age in front of me buying a croissant.  The lady recognizes Emme and me when we come in the morning and when we walk in she says: "Bonjour".  Most of the time we see other people in there and they are talking to each other but I have no idea what they are saying.

We go to the Patisserie every single day, except for Sunday, and sometimes on Saturday because we go to the market and buy bread there, where we can sometimes get different kinds of bread than we can't get at our Patisserie.

Going to the Patisserie is fun because I get to go without my parents and feel grown-up and have an experience by myself and go to buy stuff and then come back.

A short walk without the parents to the Patisserie.
Grace selected a maple flavored creme puff.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I haven't had my breakfast yet and I am starved and there isn't a patissiere or however you spell it around here! So, guess I'll go have some raw oats, raw barley and flax seed! I use to think that was pretty good. I didn't notice too many people on the street where you guys were walking to the bakery. Have you scared everyone away! Germans were the same, closed there stores from 1-3. Kind of like that idea. They didn't seem to work later either. The zoo looked incredible. Some great ones in Germany to as I recall. Just so you know, it's still winter as I mentioned a few days ago. Got up to about 68 day before yesterday, 72 yesterday. Low's in the mid 40's. Garden's growing great. We just might not get any food from it!

    We love and miss you. Keep smiling and buying pastry's.

    Papa and Grammie

    ReplyDelete